Thursday, July 2, 2009

Workout and Meals 7/2/09

I got up this morning at 5:30 am to do my weight workout in my new Chucks. I will say there is a huge difference. Those cushy running sneakers were doing me NO favors!

Here's my day:

Meals
a.m. - workout
1. immediately following - syntrax nectar protein drink w/brown rice cake
after shower - green drink w/1 tablespoon flax oil, green tea

2. 1 cup strawberry kefir w/scoop of Miracle Reds, serving of Mrs Mays nut berry crunch

3. 2 egg whites, 1 egg in a brown rice tortilla with salsa and chopped raw red bell pepper, honeydew and watermelon salad

4. chocolate almond smoothie -2 tablespoons raw almonds, 1 pitted date, 1 small frozen banana, 1 cup cold water, 1/2 tablespoon each of raw cacao nibs, ground flax seed, and hemp powder.

5. SPICY thai green curry w/shrimp, green beans, and zucchini over 1/4 c white rice

6. cherries, nut and seed crunch bar

Workout
New Rules of Lifting Phase 1 workout A

warm up - 5 mins bike + bridges

squat - warm up 45x5, then 3x8 - 65, 75, 80

alternating
push up 3x8
seated row 3x8 - 90, 100, 110

alternating
step up 3x8 - 15, 15, 20
prone jackknife - 3x15

cool down - 5 mins bike + stretching
Weight portion of the workout 28:48 so about 40 mins total.

I could never seem to progress in my squats. Now I know why (form and footwear),but for the longest time I couldn't get past 70 lbs. Well today I did 80 so I'm thrilled. Now that phase 1 is nearly complete I'm a little bummed. I would have really liked to keep working at it but I'll move on and see where the program leads me. By next Thursday I'll be done with phase 1.

Tomorrow I think I am going to take a spin class but I could change my mind and hit the track. We'll see how I feel in the morning!

4 comments:

  1. You are exactly 8 workouts ahead of my in the New Rules! I just did the exact same workout the other day, but for the first time. I think I'll feel the same as you when I finish phase 1 - still more improvement to be made!

    Are you going to try the bonus workouts at the end, with as many reps as possible at your starting weights? I'm looking forward to those, as a measure of progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to do the bonus workouts at the end of Phase 1. Can't wait to see how many reps I can do with my starting weight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice. i do miss doing heavy squats. been doing high reps lately.
    footwear definitely an important factor for lifting. i've recently purchased the vibram fivefingers sprints. barefoot technology is awesome. lifting kettlebells and sandbags, i really feel my feet muscles and lower leg adjusting, becoming stronger.
    chucks are great. look into the vibrams. i definitely feel the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting and commenting Daniel. :) I am suprised to find out that footwear makes a huge difference! I am thinking I'll order a pair of Vibram Five Fingers for my birthday in Oct. or ask for them for Christmas. Definitely something I'm looking to purchase. The Chucks will at least get me by until then.

    ReplyDelete