Sunday, April 26, 2009

Update on Progress and Goals - Week of 4/26/09

I would like to start by saying that at 5:30 pm when I was due to take measurements and pics there was a ton of stuff going on in my house. My husband was hanging a light in the kitchen, I was making dinner but I made everything stop for 5 minutes to get this done and I am glad I did. Some good progress!

I ran 3 times last week and I can honestly say that I just don't enjoy running at a steady pace. I used to but now I'd much rather run my sprints and be done with it. Quick and highly effective! I did circuit training last week as my weight sessions. My thought was keeping the weights lighter and reps up, doing more bodyweight exercises than I usually do and focusing on the running. Not feeling that at all! Going back to focusing on full body straight set/superset combination for 2 days next week and see how that goes!

After looking at some other progress pics of different people, I'm going to change it up a little bit. Adding 2 additional pics. Also, an additional measurement for flexed bicep. I'm not looking to lose inches or pounds necessarily. Just looking for a leaner look.

Last week's stats (this week):
Height 5 ft 6 (same height LOL )
Weight 134 (132.5)
Bodyfat 22% (21%)
Waist 29 in (29)
Hips 36 in (35 1/2)
Right arm 10 3/4 in (10 1/2)
Right bicep flex - just added this week 11 1/4
Right thigh 21 1/2 in (21 1/2)
Right calf 15 1/2 in (15 1/2)
Chest (at largest part) 33 1/2 in (32 1/2)
Chest (under) 28 1/2 in (27 15/16)


Last week my hair was down, this week in a ponytail. I can't notice much of a change. I will say one positive thing here. I think my flexed back looks pretty damn good! Also, note to self....try not to make such strange faces when taking progress pics ; ).











































My Meal Plan:
Eat more fruits and vegetables, of course! Purchased organic grape tomatoes, broccoli, avocados, pears, green peppers, baby carrots in addition to my regular greens and apples.

In place of kefir on my cardio only days, I'm going to try some greek yogurt. Chobani brand plain greek yogurt has an amazing nutritional profile. 100 calories, 7g carb, and a whopping 18g of protein!

Also new to the plan, wild caught sesame and ginger encrusted ahi tuna. A great find (at Coscto). You simply thaw, slice and enjoy. No cooking required! No artificial ingredients AT ALL. Per 3 oz serving, 100 calories, 3g carb and 23 protein. I would have probably a 3.5 - 4 oz serving to get closer to 30g of protein in that meal.

Going to be sure to add glutamine to my protein shakes this week for maximum muscle recovery.

My Training Plan:
Sunday (today) - Lift + sprints 2 miles
Monday - Spin
Tuesday - full body lift (straight/superset combo)
Wednesday - Run - 3 miles
Thursday - full body lift (straight/superset combo)
Friday - Run - 2.5 miles with intervals
Saturday - OFF
Sunday - Run - 4 mile trail run

Foam rolling every day and plenty of quality sleep (or as much as you can get with a toddler and a teething infant)!

I am thinking about doing posts on the days I lift so you can get a better idea of how I set up my program. Hope to see some more great changes next week in addition to being a little more prepared for this 5 mile race!

Have you set your goals for the week?

3 comments:

  1. I think you look great! Nice muscles moma!!! I just have a question, you wrote lift and sprints 2 miles...do you mean you sprint on and off for 2 miles? You are so inspiring and I am impressed how hard you are working!!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to do these outside since you don't have to put the treamill speed up and down. I'll do a warm up jog then sprint all out for 30 seconds, recover walk 1 - 2 minutes depending on fitness level. I aim for 6 quality sprints. Give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great!

    I think lifting heavy will help build more muscle that will enable you to attain the physique you're aiming for. Circuits are great, and if your main goal was to improve your running, I'd say stick w/ them. But if you are trying to maintain/build muscle while trying to train for the race, then I think heavy is the way to go. Just make sure you get plenty of rest and good nutrition.

    I LOVE the back shot especially! Your rear delts are coming in nicely. You obviously have begun to build a solid foundation. Have you done any heavy lower body work? I know right now it might interfer w/ training/recovery, but after the race I'd consider adding it in if you haven't already. When you train the bigger, more powerful muscles your body produces GH (hormone of youth and muscles!) And if you train your smaller muscles on the same day as these bigger muscles, then they too get to take advantage of the GH effect.

    Just something to think about!

    ReplyDelete