Saturday, May 2, 2009

Black Bean Avocado Salsa Recipe


I love to cook. I do it as often as I can and use the freshest ingredients possible. I am a decade long time subscriber to Cooking Light magazine and more recently I love Vegetarian Times magazine. I am a little challenged on how to cook with agave nectar and other "different" ingredients and I find Vegetarian Times to be a great resource for me.

My favorite store is not a clothing store or a shoe store, it's WHOLE FOODS! Everything is healthy and I don't have to spend time reading labels that are designed to trick you into thinking their product is oh so good for you. The produce aisle is just beautiful to me!

Anyway, to the recipe......About 6 years ago I went to a barbeque and there was this delicious black bean salsa. The hostess wrote the recipe on a little card for me and over the years I have memorized it because it's so simple and delicious. Bring this to your next barbeque so you have something healthy to snack on! This recipe makes alot so you can just cut it in half if needed.

Ingredients:
-2 cans organic black beans drained and rinsed
-1 can organic corn drained
-2 large tomatoes seeded and chopped
-2 avocadoes, diced (get avocadoes a little firm to the touch)
-1 red onion finely chopped
-1/4 cup cilantro chopped (or flat leaf parsley if you aren't a fan of cilantro)
-Juice of 2 or 3 limes
-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)

Combine all the ingredients except avocado and use the juice of only 1 lime. At this point, I like to let it sit overnight to join the flavors. Just before serving I like to add in the avocado and the juice of 1 to 2 limes.

This is amazing by itself, with chips, over egg whites, and over a grilled chicken breast. Here in NJ we get alot of fresh tomatoes and Jersey corn so I like to use those fresh when they are available. Amazing!

1 comment: