Monday, May 11, 2009

A Little Experiment

I recently purchased Brad Pilon's ebook Eat Stop Eat after reading some of the information on his website and also doing a little online research of my own about growth hormone. Human Growth Hormone (HGH) in the form of injections has reportedly been used by some celebrities as the "fountain of youth". I don't know if you remember but not too long ago Sylvester Stallone was arrested for having HGH!

Some of it's benefits, as listed on Wikipedia.org are:
-decreased body fat
-increased muscle mass
-increased bone density
-increased energy levels
-improved skin tone and texture
-improved immune system function.
Who wouldn't want that?

Also, Wikipedia.org lists the following as stimulators of growth hormone:
-sleep
-exercise (in particular restistance training)
-low levels of blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
-short term fasting
-dietary protein

So this had me thinking that Brad Pilon may be onto something with his theory of short term fasting for fat loss. In his book, he states that HGH levels are elevated after approximately 18 hours of fasting. Fasting meaning only water, black coffee, tea, or diet no calorie beverages if desired.

He also talks a little bit about being a slave to eating every 3 hours. Now I have to agree with him here. I have two young children that eat every few hours and so do I. Needless to say I'm in the kitchen preparing something 3/4 of my day. It is exhausting!

This Saturday I have an all day neighborhood garage sale that we are participating in. It's going to be a busy day and tough to find the time to eat. From Friday around dinner to Saturday around dinner, I going to try a 24 hr fast and see how I feel. In addition to having a spike in HGH, I am creating a weekly deficit in calories therefore resulting in some additional fat loss (hopefully).

I am looking forward to reporting my results!

For more information on Eat Stop Eat, check out this website http://eatstopeat.com

3 comments:

  1. I've also toyed with buying Brad's book. The food obsession is tiring to do everyday. Can't wait to read your updates/ experiences with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kewl! I'll be interested to see how intermittent fasting works for you. When I first heard about Brad's program I thought he was nuts, but now I tend to believe he's onto something. I know the big fear for a lot of people is that by fasting they'll slow their metabolism, but if the fast is only 24 hours that shouldn't happen. Likewise, as long as you're able to work out with your usual intensity you shouldn't lose muscle mass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in reading his book, I am convinced to at least test out his theory. Who wouldn't want to increase their HGH levels naturally?

    ReplyDelete