Wednesday, May 27, 2009

And the Training Program Will Be.....

I think that taking a few days off is just what I needed. I'm catching up on some sleep and researching some training programs. This is great! I'm not going to get used to it though. I'll be back to working hard in a few short days!

Today I was reading some information about Alwyn Cosgrove's Afterburn program. It's an intense fat loss program designed to rev up your metabolism. It has a circuit style weight workout, cardio intervals where you never do the same workout twice, and a nutrition program. It sounds so tempting but to be quite honest I'm 128.5 pounds, 20% bodyfat and I'm a size 4 pushing a size 2. I could certainly stand to lose some bodyfat, but do I want to be much smaller? Not really!

I think my goals are more to gain strength. To be able to do pull ups, improve my squat and deadlift. Things like that. So I think my decision is going to be New Rules of Lifting for Women! Keep in mind that Alwyn Cosgrove also designed the training for this program as well.


I am planning on making the weeks in Phase 1 look like this:
Sunday - lift
Monday - spin (45 min class)
Tuesday - lift + 15 mins of sprints
Wednesday - OFF (or do sprints if they weren't done Tuesday)
Thursday - lift
Friday - sprints/steady state combo (30 mins max)
Saturday - OFF


It's been a long time since I've followed an exact program (Body for Life in 2001) so I'm actually kind of looking forward to taking the guesswork out of it. I will probably update pics once per month and I will most definitely be doing before and after pics.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Green Tea Girl, connected with you on Twitter and thought I would visit your blog. I think NROLW is a great program, I have it and the advice is sound. If in the future you decide to do Afterburn, I would suggest Afterburn II. It uses undulating periodization so your body never gets complacent but my favorite part is that it incorporates barbell complexes, where you do a series of moves for a certain number of reps without putting the bar down. Brutal but very effective. I was doing it for fat loss but saw tremendous strength gains that surprised me.
    Nice blog! k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Kelley! I didn't realize there were 2 Afterburns. That's good to know. I did an MMA barbell complex workout twice that I really loved. Brutal but challenging. I have a post about it "The Challenge - Randy Couture Grappling Workout". We have alot in common. My husband's name is Jimmy too :). Looking forward to reading your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Size 4 pushing a size 2 - hah! Me too! Glad to have an ally on my quest to build muscle and gain strength. I can't wait to hear how you do.

    ReplyDelete