Sunday, May 24, 2009

Recap of Spring Lake 5 Mile Run



So the race is finally over! This race is the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend every year and it's a favorite here on the Jersey Shore. This year there were 9,500 participants. Registration opened on February 1, 2009 and was filled up by February 10, 2009. It's been around since 1977 and it's been listed in the country's top 100 races in Runner's World magazine. If people can't run, they even sell their bib numbers on craigslist! My official time was 52:02 which is not terrible although not my best time.

It took us a few minutes just to get to the starting line because of the amount of people that run the race. Then it was elbow to elbow until about mile 2 where it started to break up a bit. We did stop once for some water and my ipod earphones got unplugged so I had to stop and fix those. There were so many types of people of so many ability levels and ages, it is hard not to get inspired. All along the race route family members, people living in the neighborhood, and even the fire department came out to cheer us on! My sister and I ran together until the end and I sprinted the last 1/4 mile I'd say.

They give out a t-shirt and a glass to every registered participant. I've been drinking out of my 2002 glass for a few years now. It was definitely time for a new one. I say I won't run again but I most likely will. I would love to run it with my son and daughter one day!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Julie! Honestly... your time is awesome!! Congrats!! :) And how cool that you got to do it with your sister!

    ReplyDelete