Friday, May 22, 2009

My History of The Spring Lake 5 Miler


Running this race came about in 2001. I was working for a gas company and one of my co-workers ran the race every year. I thought it would be a great idea to train for it! So me an another co-worker decided we would run during lunch a few days a week to train for it. Enduring shin splints and every other ailment and despite my best intentions I never ran the full 5 miles before race day. To make matters worse, my co-worker/ training partner never met me at the starting line like she said she would! I was forced to run with my sister which is not a bad thing. It's just I wasn't used to running with her. I wanted to stop many times and give up but she wouldn't let me. I finished the race in 52:36. Not terrible! I was hurting pretty bad though. I couldn't get off the couch for the rest of the day. Just to give you all a great laugh I even have a picture. Yeah that's me with my eyes closed and looking like I would die. There's my sister next to me looking like it was so easy!

Well, in 2002 I was going to redeem myself. I obviously thought running a 5 mile race would be so easy. Maybe for some but running doesn't come easy for me. I really have to work at it. I watched what I ate and really dedicated the time. I ran 5 miles several times before race day. I even got a few more people from the office running. We had a group of 4 or 5 that would run during lunch. It wasn't long before there was an office competition. Who would run the fastest? Nobody put their money on me. That was their mistake! I ran it in 46:00. Here's a great pic of that! I'm such a pro, I'm checking my watch!

Many years had passed. I had knee surgery. Then I had my two children. Over the holidays I decided I wanted to run it again. My sister said she would do it with me and I thought that was a great idea. About 7 weeks ago, my sister fractured her ankle in a freak accident. She was sitting in a chair and her foot fell asleep. When she went to get up she heard a pop and there was her fracture! Weeks have gone by and she only started training for the race 2 weeks ago! She is a runner though and your body does remember so she has that on her side. So tomorrow I'm going to run with her and push her if she needs it because she did that for me so many years ago. That's what sisters are for right?

If it wasn't for her I may have given up. I may have told myself I couldn't do it and quit. Where would I be now? I may not be the positive minded person you all know!

You CAN accomplish anything you put your mind to!

3 comments:

  1. You both will do brilliantly!

    I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! One of my clients is running that ract too today! I was going to run with her, but it was too late to register by the time I found out. LET US KNOW HOW YOU DID!!! I will be anxiously waiting to hear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you are going to kick butt!! You are inspiring me to start to train for a 5k...I will start there and maybe one day I will run the 5 miles with you!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete