Monday, June 1, 2009

The Start of New Rules of Lifting for Women

New month new training program! I was going back and forth about starting NROL4W from Phase 1 week 1 or skipping to Phase 1 week 3. I have decided to do the program from the beginning as it's written. The only modification is to add sprint intervals in on one of my lift days for Phase 1 just because I'm used to doing them already.

Yesterday I did get to the gym to do some machines that I love. I know what you're thinking. What? Machines? There are a few that I love and they are the assisted pull up, high row, pec dec, and the shoulder press. After I did those and some squats, I did 15 mins of intervals of 1 min of 7.0 mph (up to 9.5) with 2 mins recovery.

Here is how I'm planning the week:
Monday - spin
Tuesday - lift + 15 mins sprint intervals as described in the book
Wednesday - OFF (or 15 mins sprint intervals if they don't get done Tuesday)
Thursday - lift
Friday - Run mix of intervals and steady state not exceeding 4o mins
Saturday - OFF
Sunday - lift

Diet will remain the same as it's been. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, greek yogurt, nuts, salmon, chicken, and organic eggs.

I am going to use measurements and pics from 5/24/09 as my starting point. Since I took three days off last week, I don't think there is much of a change in the numbers anyway. I will update numbers every few weeks and pics about once per month.

Looking forward to seeing some great changes!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Julie!
    First of all, let me say I love your blog! Just spent some time looking at older posts...good stuff!

    I'd say your weekly schedule looks very solid; I like the fact that you're mixing it up with the spinning AND steady state cardio!
    (I know longer cardio is not 'in vogue' any longer with most everyone...BUT it is a good way to work on your circulatory system, especially since you run longer races, as well. Not the most efficient for fat loss, but then again, you really don't have any fat to lose from what I can see....Not just saying that to be 'nice'...I mean it.)

    The only advice I would give with NROLFW is to make sure you keep the rest periods short [whatever is recommended by AC] and the weight heavy enough to be tough to finish the sets...I speak from experience: until recently I've always been on the lazy side of "intensity", never really pushing myself. Now I push hard and I've been able to get some decent results. (strength-wise)

    Last thing: in an early blog last week you mentioned wanting to be able to do more pull-ups (or chin-ups). Try practicing negative pull-ups EVERY TIME you're in the gym: jump up from a bench and pull yourself up to the top part of the pull-up, hold tight and as slow as you can stand it, lower your self all the way down. Drop off, get on the bench and jump up and do it all over again. Do 3 your first week and ADD 1 or 2 more each week from then on.
    You have the "LIFR Guarantee" [Luckisforrabbits] that you'll be banging out unassisted pullups in no time and turning all the heads in the gym your way! (LOL...true!)

    Looking forward to reading about your results! Keep us 'posted'! (pun intended)

    Stay strong,
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting Fred! I am definitely starting to feel too skinny so it's time to up the weights! I think if I go at it hard enough I'll see some great strength gains.

    I've done negative chin ups before but not more than a few. I know they are written in the program about Phase 5 I believe so I'm looking forward to really working on that.

    I really appreciate your input!

    ReplyDelete